31 Days Reflecting on our Lives in Haiti, Day 5

Day 5

There is no doubt in my mind that one of my favorite things to do in Haiti was ride a moto! Motorcycles are the main form of motorized transportation in our town. For the first 9 months in Haiti we didn't have a vehicle. It really made life interesting. We became used to the walks down the mountain when teams came to visit.  I think the most fun was wondering how many eggs would crack riding on the moto to our home....hmmm, let me show you what most of the road looks like to our home...some places are worse:)


We have tons of absolutely crazy stories from traveling in Haiti. I hope I get to take you guys along some of those rides. INSANE and so Indiana Jones-ish....if that's a word?

In the fun of not having a vehicle we would find ourselves pretty stranded, often. In most cases we would be ok. On one special day we had gotten our family ready for the adventure of walking to Lindsay's place. I believe we intended to try to find 2 motorcycles to split our family up and get a ride...yes...we put 3 of us and a driver on each one...so fun! 
This special day was Lindsay's birthday and it was the first time I tried to bake something in Haiti. 
Cookies.
With margarine that never sees a refrigerator(Remember the majority of locals have no power).
Hmm...they did turn out and we got ourselves ready to celebrate with a beautiful woman of God who never seeks the spotlight or celebration. 
We were super excited to do something fun! 
Something that the kids could grab a hold as a fond activity.
A BIRTHDAY!!!

So we finally got out the house, with a billion things to lock, close, bolt(If it rains everything in the home can get soaked with the wind because we only had bars on our windows.)
So we started down the road and quickly I realized that all the little markets on our street were shut down, midday?? We saw the clouds and weren't as familiar with how fast a tropical down pour comes in Jeremie. So Aaron went back to grab our coats....probably wouldn't have helped much.
You, see when it rains every local stops. No one drives. Most hide from the rain due to superstition and fear. No taxi in site.No moto's! 

I was standing on the side of the road as it began to pour! We literally were drenched in about 5 seconds. The kids were struggling. They were so excited to go and then I told them we should head home. 
One of the realities we were learning was that life there doesn't really include entertainment. So for our tiny ones we began to create fun as a family...eventually. We weren't great at it. Imagine being somewhere were walking outside caused a crowd or followers. There is no quick stop for a treat, or a show. Not even a park for fun that our kids wouldn't be surrounded. So going to this party was a big excitement for them. 

Right after I said we should go home. Isaiah says "I'm going to pray." And he prays "Lord, send someone to get us to Lindsay's. In Jesus Name." 
And again, I'm struggling to encourage that awesome faith. I hugged him and tried to cover each of them from the rain. 

And then... a white SUV comes out of nowhere. It stops and the driver rolls the window down. With a thick foreign accent, this white gentleman asked what we were doing. I said trying to go to a friends for her birthday. He said he would give us a ride. I can hear whispers...."See...God heard my prayer. This guys an angel." The kids were squealing. And Aaron came running up and was as confused as I was and got in. This man...from Sweden...we never saw again. We lived in a small town. We made it to her special day and enjoyed the company of our closest family in Haiti, our team. 

The absolute beauty of a Father who sits waiting to hear from me is a much needed reminder today. All to  often here in the States I find myself seeing how easy it is to "figure it out". There is just everything at your fingertips here. And yet He can amaze us, even in a country full of gadgets, speed and new found ways to get better. Just this month I've seen Him shock our family again and again in helping us financially while we serve in ministry. 
I am so grateful for the gift of reflection. I'm so grateful that He encourages us to reflect on what He has done. To give Him praise and glory for all He did even when we didn't recognize it. And to take those reflections and be encouraged and challenged to engage Him more and more. I hope this week I find myself standing, dripping wet, needing an angel...and my voice will trust my loving and perfect Father to help....



Comments

Gloria O'Rourke said…
Who knew Angel's drive? Powerful story....keep 'em coming!
John Lamb said…
Thank you Andrea, for the words of love from God in your testimony here.

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to California, our Journey from 2 viewpoints.

J.A.M. you got to got to JAM!

Caleb Anthony Taylor